Each #17MinutesStronger workout features a circuit of 4 exercises, which you’ll repeat 4 times in 16 minutes. Then finish up with a 1-minute plank, any variation you like. (See “Plank Variations” post for examples.)
I recommend downloading a HIIT timer app (like Seconds Pro from the App Store). Set the number of sets to 16; then choose your high/low intervals based on your experience or conditioning level:
BEGINNER: 30 seconds work/30 seconds rest
INTERMEDIATE: 40 seconds work/20 seconds rest
ADVANCED: 45 seconds work/15 seconds rest, or repeat circuit 5 times (increasing duration to 20 minutes)
Seconds Pro App
Seconds Pro, from the App Store, allows you to set up and save unlimited workout timers. (The free version offers similar functionality but doesn’t allow you to save custom timers.)
You can follow these simple instructions to set up a #17MinutesStronger timer:
- On the My Timers screen, click + in the upper-right corner.
- On the Choose Template screen, select HIIT Timer.
- On the HIIT Timer screen, set the Number of Sets to 16.
- Set your High Intensity and Low Intensity intervals based on the recommendations above.
- Set Cool Down to 1:00. This will serve as your 1-minute plank timer.
- Click Save in the upper-right corner. This will save your custom timer to the My Timers screen.
Note: Seconds Pro is the app I use personally, because it’s extremely versatile and easy to use. I don’t receive any compensation for suggesting it to you. There are dozens of HIIT timer apps that will work equally well.